Saturday, June 15, 2013

2013 Preparation

I'm signed up again for this year, so I've extended my running more than usual. The main thing I'll try to do is to get in at least one big hill training session in early July. Even if you don't have time for a great deal of specific training or very long runs, if you do one big session within a month of the race that includes a lot of steep downhill running, you can condition your quads to take the pounding. The eccentric contractions necessary for downhill running can be very damaging to the muscles, but research has found that even one big session can condition your legs to lessen such damage in the race. If you don't do some such training, your quads will give out in the race.


Update 7/16: I've been too busy to train this year, but I've been doing what I can. Friday the 12th I was able to go out for 5 1/2 hours of:  24 mins biking, 2:37 trail running and the rest hiking. I figured about 2700 feet of elevation. From here until the race I'll do minimal effort, but might stay out there for 2 to 3 hours once or twice.Looking forward to seeing many familiar and also new faces at the race this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment